The Ariana Museum is one of thirteen institutions financially supported by the Federal Office of Culture. In 2018, it received 250’000 Swiss francs, 370’000 francs in 2019 and will receive 420’000 Swiss francs per year from 2020 to 2022. The museum is delighted with this support which will enable it to fulfil the task of carrying out fundamental work, such as the inventory, putting collections online, the promoting and developing its potential as a prestigious institution whose influence is national and international.
Obtaining this funding was the result of a competition. Like the other 34 candidates, the Ariana had to submit a very comprehensive file. The expert submission was based on precise selection criteria: nationally recognised aura and quality, an original and significant collection for Switzerland as well as innovative cultural mediation work. This is a new initiative, since this contribution was previously granted directly by the Federal Council and the Parliament, which designated seven museums.
The institutions supported from 2018 are the following:
· Aargauer Kunsthaus, Aarau (AG)
· Swiss Alpine Museum, Bern (BE)
· Ballenberg, Open Air Museum, Hofstetten b. Brienz (BE)
· HeK (Museum of electronic arts Basel), Münchenstein (BL)
· Latenium, Hauterive (NE)
· Elysee Museum, Lausanne (VD)
· Art Museum of the Italian part of Switzerland (T)
· Roman city Augusta Raurica, Augst (BL)
· Convent library of Saint-Gallen, St. Gallen (SG)
· Technorama, Winterthur (ZH)
· Swiss Museum of Transport, Lucern (LU)
· Vitromuseum, Romont (FR)
The sums allocated vary between CHF250’000 and CHF600’000 yearly, except for the Swiss Museum of Transport (CHF1’560’000).