Découvrez les musées municipaux
Toute l'offre culturelle


  • L'herbier des Conservatoire et Jardin botaniques et ses quelque six millions d’échantillons est un des plus importants au monde. Quant au jardin, il abrite de magnifiques collections de plantes vivantes.
  • Site internet du Conservatoire et Jardin botaniques


  • Le FMAC a pour missions de développer la présence de l’art dans l’espace public et de soutenir les artistes actifs et actives à Genève. Le FMAC gère la Médiathèque, un espace de consultation et de diffusion d’une collection dédiée à l'art vidéo. Le FMAC Mobile, par ses actions de médiation, favorise l’intérêt et la compréhension des publics pour le domaine de l’art contemporain.
  • Page web du Fonds municipal d’art contemporain


  • Avec une collection riche de 25'000 objets illustrant douze siècles de culture céramique, le Musée Ariana compte parmi les grands musées européens spécialisés dans les arts du feu.
  • Site internet du Musée Ariana


  • Les Musées d’art et d’histoire forment le plus grand ensemble muséal de Suisse, avec ses cinq musées et leurs 700'000 objets, sa bibliothèque et ses ateliers de restauration.
  • Site internet des Musées d'art et d'histoire


  • Haut lieu de la réflexion sur les sociétés humaines, le Musée d'ethnographie de Genève, dont les bâtiments se trouvent au boulevard Carl-Vogt propose au travers de ses expositions une variété de lectures anthropologiques des phénomènes sociaux et culturels qui traversent le monde actuel.
  • Site internet du Musée d'ethnographie


  • Le Muséum d’histoire naturelle accueille plus de 250'000 visiteurs chaque année à la découverte des millions de spécimens exceptionnels appartenant au patrimoine naturel qu'il conserve. Unique en son genre en Suisse, le Musée d'histoire des sciences - affilié au Muséum - abrite une collection d'instruments scientifiques anciens issus des cabinets des savants genevois du 17e au 19e siècle.
  • Site internet du Muséum d'histoire naturelle
    Site internet du Musée d'histoire des sciences

The Park

A stroll around the old grounds

Bequeathed by Gustave Revilliod (1817-1890) to the City of Geneva, the huge estate of Varembé, which originally stretched right down to the lake, has seen many changes. The ornamental pond was added in around 1850: three bronze herons “quench their thirst” there in fine weather. In 1893, the grounds were temporarily home to the 18th century Montbovon chalet – previously displayed at the National Exhibition – and even a deer park! A landing stage was built in 1894 so that boats could moor at the Ariana. A year later, a floating restaurant graced the lakeside, but was demolished in 1911.
Division of the estate began in the early 20th century. The Geneva Botanical Gardens (formerly in the Parc des Bastions) were transferred there between 1902 and 1904, and the building known as the “Console” was erected. But it was the construction of the Palace of Nations from 1929 to 1937 that brought about the most dramatic transformation, blocking out the magnificent view over the lake and the Alps. The servants’ entrance to the museum then became its main entrance and this reversal of the facades profoundly altered how the building was perceived. Gustave Revilliod’s mausoleum, which he had requested should be at the foot of a group of oak trees, is now next to the grounds of the UN.

Michelangelo, though the most famous is definitely that of Mahatma Gandhi. Given by the Republic of India to the City of Geneva, this statue was unveiled in 2007. Sitting cross-legged, this advocate of peace holds an open book. The inscription makes us stop and think: “My life is my message”.
 A Japanese flavour is given to the Ariana park by the Shinagawa bell. The original bell, cast in 1657, hung at the Shingon Honsen-ji temple in Shinagawa (Tokyo), but was actually purchased by Gustave Revilliod in 1873 in the Canton of Aargau! The original was returned to Japan by the City of Geneva, which in turn received this replica by way of thanks. The area where it stands is now edged by the twenty cherry blossom trees of the Allée des Sakura, inaugurated on 31 March 2014 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Switzerland and Japan. There’s also a monument in the grounds in memory of the victims of the atomic bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki and of Marcel Junod (1904-1961), an ICRC delegate and the first foreign doctor to assist Hiroshima survivors.