From the point of view of the creators of the images
– on high-quality images, mainly those produced by professionals or highly qualified amateurs.
– the Centre d’iconographie genevoise is not tasked with collecting images solely for their aesthetic character.
– the acquisitions policy of the Centre d’iconographie genevoise does not take into account the origins of the people who produced the images it collects, and is not designed to concentrate above all on items created by Genevans or artists or craftsmen connected with Geneva.
– the Centre d’iconographie genevoise does, however, try to collect as completely as possible items that spring from the work of the main artists (printmakers, draftsmen, photographers) who created views of Geneva and the surrounding region; this includes collecting items that are not directly related to documentary images like photographic materials, archival records and items, and works that are not documentary in nature.
– the Centre d’iconographie genevoise does not gather images produced by public or semi-public entities that are institutionally earmarked for public archives (the Archives of the State of Geneva, the Archives of the City of Geneva, etc.).