The City of Geneva, through its Contemporary Art Fund, is organizing a two-round competition to create one (or several) art intervention(s) in connection with the construction of a new area within the Eaux-Vives district, which will consist of housing units, collective amenities (a childcare center, a social and cultural space, sports facilities), as well as a shopping center, public plazas, a new theater (“Nouvelle Comédie”) and a new station. The site is part of the CEVA project (a railway line that crosses the city: Cornavin – Eaux-Vives – Annemasse).
CEVA line comes into service: end of 2019
Construction of Lot BC: end of 2023
The public spaces are being created at the same time as the buildings.
A document summarizing the urban development and architecture project can be viewed here.
A two-round process
The first round consists of a call for submissions that should enable the jury—made up of professionals from the fields of contemporary art and architecture—to select 8 to 10 artists, who will then be allowed to compete in the second round, in which they will propose a project according to precise specifications. The overall budget for this/these project(s) is 800,000 Swiss francs.
First-round candidates are asked to briefly present their intervention concept and/or their analysis of the site and of the issues involved, particularly by considering the status of art in public space and its relationship with everyday experience, as well as how it is received by the population.
The call for submissions is open to professional artists of all nationalities and ages who have significant experience in the field of public art. Both individual and collective submissions are accepted.
- You must be a professional artist (having completed your BA/MA);
- You must have created at least one major work in the public domain and/or in connection with architecture;
- Correspondence must be in either English or French.
Digital documents required for submission
- A covering letter (2 A4 pages maximum);
- A PDF file (maximum 20 A4 pages and 10MB ) containing:
- a complete CV: education, a list of creations in public space, a selection of exhibitions, publications and awards;
- visuals and texts giving a good sense of the artist’s work in public space;
- the registration form;
- Publications can be sent by post to the address below.
Submission of files and schedule
The digital files are to be sent by email no later than 13 November 2017 at midnight.
Publications are to be mailed to:
Fonds d’art contemporain de la Ville de Genève (FMAC)
“Eaux-Vives” competition submissions
34, rue des Bains
CH – 1205 Geneva
The jury will meet in January 2018; artists will be informed of the results by e-mail at the end of January 2018.
The second round will take place between February and late June 2018.
Jury selection is currently in progress.